Meet Our Experts
“Alone we can do so little; together we can do so much” -Helen Keller
Dr. Zulhairun A. Karim
BEng (Chem. Eng.), PhD (Gas Eng.) [Fast-Track] (UTM)
Contacts: firstname.lastname@example.org; +607-5535 398
Zulhairun Abdul Karim is a senior lecturer in the Faculty of Chemical and Energy Engineering (FCEE) at Universiti Teknologi Malaysia (UTM). Zulhairun obtained his Bachelor of Engineering (Chemical) from UTM in 2011, and then pursued his PhD in Gas Engineering. During his study, he was actively involved in an academia-industry research project developing novel membrane material for CO2 removal. Right after his PhD graduation in 2014, he was appointed as a Visiting Junior Researcher, and then he was awarded with Postdoctoral Fellowship in Advanced Membrane Technology Research Centre (AMTEC), UTM. >>>
He joined the Energy Engineering Department as academic teaching staff in mid-2015, serving Nuclear Engineering Programme, while actively involved with numerous research activities in AMTEC as an associate research fellow. In AMTEC, he holds the responsibility as the Corporate Affairs Manager. On top of that, he plays the role as the Advisor of Nuclear Engineering Student Society (NESS). He is also an associate member of Institution of Chemical Engineers (AMIChemE) and a member of Malaysia Membrane Society (MyMembrane). Besides that, he held the position as the head of laboratory for the Basic Engineering Laboratory (Makmal Kejuruteraan Asas) in SCEE (2016-2018).
His research interests mainly centered on nano-enabled membrane technology developed for gas separation and water purification. Despite of his short career span, he has published several scientific publications in high impact factor international refereed journals and book chapters. Recently he had been appointed as one of the Editorial Board Members for Journal of Applied Membrane Science & Technology.
TANG CHUN YU
“Preparation and Characterization of Boron Nitride Nanocomposite Membranes for Desalination”
ANG JING JING
“Fabrication of Flexible Electronic using Bio-based Polymer/Graphene Composites”
ANIS SYAKILA ABDUL RAZAK
“Dye Removal by Boron Nitride Aerogel”
“Boron Nitride Membrane for Separation of Oily Wastewater Pollutants”
FILZAH HAZIRAH JAFFAR
“Materials” Modification of Ion Exchange Resin for Radionuclides Removal from TRIGA Puspati Reactor Coolant System”
ROSYIELA AZWA ROSLAN
“Separation of CO2/CH4 and O2/N2 using Hollow Fiber Composite Membranes with Outer Surface Coated by Selective Materials”
NOR AKALILI AHMAD
“Layer-by-Layer Thin Film Nanocomposite on Polyamide Layer for Produced Water Desalination”
MOHAMAD SHAHRUL AZMI MARZUKI
“Tailoring pore structure of hexagonal boron nitride nanosheets”
- R.A. Roslan, W.J. Lau, D.B. Sakthivel, S. Khademi, A.K. Zulhairun, P.S. Goh, A.F. Ismail, K.C. Chong, S.O. Lai, Separation of CO2/CH4 and O2/N2 by polysulfone hollow fiber membranes: effects of membrane support properties and surface coating materials, Journal of Polymer Engineering. DOI: 10.1515/polyeng-2017-0272 (2018) (Impact factor 2015 = 0.631)
- Alireza Samavati, Zahra Samavati, A.F. Ismail, M.H.D Othman, Mukhlis A. Rahman, A.K. Zulhairun, I.S. Amiri, Structural, optical and electrical evolution of Al and Ga co-doped ZnO/SiO 2/glass thin film: role of laser power density, RSC Advances 7(57) (2017) 35858-35868 (Impact factor 2015 = 3.108)
- Kok Chung Chong, Soon Onn Lai, Woei Jye Lau, Hui San Thiam, Ahmad Fauzi Ismail, A.K. Zulhairun, Fabrication and Characterization of Polysulfone Membranes Coated with Polydimethysiloxane for Oxygen Enrichment, Aerosol and Air Quality Research 17(10) (2017) (Impact factor 2015 = 2.606)
- Alireza Samavati, Zahra Samavati, A.F. Ismail, M.H.D. Othman, M.A. Rahman, A.K. Zulhairun, Efficient Visible Photoluminescence from Self-Assembled Ge QDs Embedded in Silica Matrix, Chinese Physics Letters 34(6) (2017) 068102 (Impact factor 2015 = 0.927)
- Irfana Moideen, Zulhairun Abdul Karim, Ananda Kulal, Ahmad Fauzi Ismail, Fabrication of hollow fiber membrane encrusted with chitosan nanoparticle and Ag-loaded chitosan nanoparticle for dye rejection and antibiofouling nature, Under review. (Impact factor 2015 = 5.557)
- A.K. Zulhairun, M.N. Subramaniam, S. Alireza, M.K.N. Ramli, M. Krishparao, P.S. Goh, A.F. Ismail, High-flux polysulfone mixed matrix hollow fiber membrane incorporating mesoporous titania nanotubes for gas separation, Separation and Purification Technology 180 (2017) 13–22 (Impact factor 2015 = 3.299)
- R.S. Hebbar, A. M. Isloor, A. K. Zulhairun, M. S. Abdullah, and A. F. Ismail, Efficient treatment of hazardous reactive dye effluents through antifouling polyetherimide hollow fiber membrane embedded with functionalized halloysite nanotubes, Journal of the Taiwan Institute of Chemical Engineers. 72 (2017) 244 – 252. (Impact factor 2015 = 2.848)
- Valeen Rashmi Pereira, Arun M. Isloor, A.K. Zulhairun, M.N. Subramaniam, W.J. Lau, A. F. Ismail, Preparation of polysulfone-based PANI–TiO2 nanocomposite hollow fiber membranes for industrial dye rejection applications, RSC Advanced, 6 (2016) 99764 – 99773 (Impact factor 2015 = 3.299)
- A.K. Zulhairun, Z.G. Fachrurrazi, M. Nur Izwanne, and A.F. Ismail, Asymmetric hollow fiber membrane coated with polydimethylsiloxane-metal organic framework hybrid layer for gas separation, Separation and Purification Technology, 146 (2015) 85–93. (Impact factor 2015 = 3.299)
- A.J. Kajekar, B.M. Dodamani, A. M. Isloor, A. K. Zulhairun, B. C. Ng, and A. F. Ismail, Preparation and Characterization of novel PSf/PVP/PANI-nanofiber nanocomposite hollow fiber ultrafiltration membranes and their possible applications for hazardous dye rejection. Desalination, 365 (2015) 117–125. (Impact factor 2015 = 4.412)
- N.M. Ismail, A.F. Ismail, A. Mustafa, A.K. Zulhairun, N.A.H.M. Nordin, Enhanced carbon dioxide separation by polyethersulfone (PES) mixed matrix membranes deposited with clay, Journal of Polymer Engineering, 1 – 14. DOI: 10.1515/polyeng-2015-0048 (2015) (Impact factor 2015 = 0.631)
- A.K. Zulhairun, B. C. Ng, A. F. Ismail, and R. Surya Murali, Production of Mixed Matrix Hollow Fiber Membrane for CO2/CH4 separation. Separation and Purification Technology, 137 (2014) 1–12. (Impact factor 2015 = 3.299)
- A.K. Zulhairun and A. F. Ismail, The role of layered silicate loadings and their dispersion states on the gas separation performance of mixed matrix membrane. Journal of Membrane Science, 468 (2014) 20–30. (Impact factor 2015 = 5.557)
- A.K. Zulhairun A. F. Ismail, T. Matsuura, M. S. Abdullah and A. Mustafa, Asymmetric mixed matrix membrane incorporating organically modiﬁed clay particle for gas separation. Chemical Engineering Journal, 241 (2014) 495–503. (Impact factor 2015 = 5.310)
- A.K. Zulhairun A. F. Ismail, A. Mustafa, Asymmetric Polysulfone-Cloisite 15A® nanocomposite membrane for gas separation, Jurnal Teknologi. 69:9 (2014) 61–65.
- A.K. Zulhairun, A. Hafeez, A.F. Ismail, Chapter 1 – The Fabrication of Carbon-Based Polymer Nanocomposite, Carbon-Based Polymer Nanocomposites for Environmental and Energy Applications, Elsevier 2018.
- A.K. Zulhairun, M.S. Ismail, A.F. Ismail, Chapter 1 – Graphene and CNT Technology, Membrane Desalination Systems the Next Generation, Elsevier 2018.
- A.K. Zulhairun, P.S. Goh, A.F. Ismail, Chapter 12 – Nanocomposite Membranes for Heavy Metal Removal from Wastewater, Nanocomposites for Pollution Control, Pan Standford Publishing, Singapore, 2018.
- A.K. Zulhairun, N. Yusof, W.N.W. Salleh, F. Aziz, A.F. Ismail, Chapter 8 – Advanced Membrane Materials for CO2 Separation from Natural Gas, Membrane Technology for CO2 Sequestration, CRC Press, Taylor and Francis Group, 2018.